Monday, October 6, 2008

Late post.

It's almost 9:30 at night which means I really should be in bed, but I'm trying to avoid it at all costs because going to bed means going to sleep and then going to sleep means I just have to wake up and go to work in the morning and who wants to do that?! So I figured I'd take a minute to congratulate my best friend Doug and his wife Randi Marie -- their ultrasound today revealed that they are having a little girl! You know what that means? Now the marriage negotiations begin! Obviously, we're kickin' this old skool which means we get a dowry if Zatanna marries Christian. The bidding began at 2 chickens and a duck, but I'm thinking if Johnny Lingo (read on to get more info about Johnny Lingo) can get 8 cows then we should be able to obtain something near there. I mean, that story takes place in Polynesia. This is America and one cow equals like a car or something over there, right (or down there)?

Obviously, I'm joking. I'm super-happy for them because I know that even though Doug said he just wanted a healthy baby, what he really wanted to say is, "I want a girl." :o) A baby is a baby regardless, but it's still exciting.

As for me, I'm 22 weeks today, which means BabyCenter update!

How your baby's growing:

At 11 inches (the length of a spaghetti squash) and almost 1 pound, your baby is starting to look like a miniature newborn. His lips, eyelids, and eyebrows are becoming more distinct, and he's even developing tiny tooth buds beneath his gums. His eyes have formed, but his irises (the colored part of the eye) still lack pigment. If you could see inside your womb, you'd be able to spot the fine hair (lanugo) that covers his body and the deep wrinkles on his skin, which he'll sport until he adds a padding of fat to fill them in. Inside his belly, his pancreas — essential for the production of some important hormones — is developing steadily.

See what your baby looks like this week.

Note: Every baby develops a little differently — even in the womb. Our information is designed to give you a general idea of your baby's development.

It seems like week after week, these little developmental updates seem to get shorter. Or maybe it's just me. *shrug*

I had a bad day pregnancy-wise today. I woke up, dry heaved so badly that it made me lose my bladder (TMI, I know but it happens sometimes when you are pregnant) and I felt awful cleaning up after myself. Then nothing would stay in my stomach at work but instead of coming out the way it attempted to this morning, it started coming out the other end (if you catch my drift). I took a Reglan around 9am, started to get sleep about 45 minutes later, but luckily was able to continue the rest of my workday, which is the most important right now. Ug. I never want to have another day like today. I was miserable with a capital M.

Tomorrow we're attending a birthday party for Mark's best friend's 4 year old daughter. I have no clue what to get for her. It's just so hard to buy stuff that's age appropriate for kids anymore because some of the toys are too "baby" and others are too advanced. *sigh* Looks like a last minute run to the Toys R Us is going to be in order.

I suppose I should get to bed...but now a footnote for those of you who have no idea who Johnny Lingo is you can visit this website and get the full story (you have to scroll down a bit until you see "Johnny Lingo" in italics). I originally first heard the story of Johnny Lingo when I was in junior high. My step-grandparents had a machine (I guess it could have been microfische but it played audio while showing pictures) that played the story for me and my step-brothers. Then, later on, when I went on a temple trip, they showed the video of "Johnny Lingo and the 8-cow Wife" and I completely fell in love with it. The story has such a good message, even if you aren't religious. And I always wanted a husband who adored me as much as Johnny adored Mahana.

My favorite line in the movie, that still cracks me up to this day is, "Mahana, you ugly!" What a horrid father. But he learned his lesson. :oP

I would also like to mention that dowry is usually given to the husband as a gift from his new wife. In this story, Johnny Lingo gives Mahana's father the 8 cows. I dunno if it's backwards in Polynesia or what. So technically Johnny Lingo didn't get 8 cows, he gave 8 cows. In America, we do it the right now -- we get the goods and the girl. ;o)

Good night!!

1 comments:

Randi Marie said...

I woke up going "Wait, Johnny Lingo paid 8 cows he didn't get 8" so maybe if Christian wants an 8 cow wife he should pay for one :)

Thanks for the congrats!!

I have been freaking about the bladder thing for a while when I had a cold everytime I would sneeze it was like I had to remember to hold it in...Yikes no fun :)Nothing to drastic yet but Doug told me if I pee on the new bed he wont be happy with me...
Hope your day is better today!