Friday, November 21, 2008

It's here.

Today is the day of the dreaded glucose test. I just keep telling myself it's only one hour out of an entire day and that I can deal with that. I'm sure that drinking the glucose stuff isn't even half as bad as I remember, but right now all I can think of is puking my brains out. Wish me luck!

I am officially the biggest klutz in the world. On top of having issues with my kidney's and the Sciatica, I can now add knee pain to that list. Early yesterday afternoon, I decided to stop by Mark's work to spend some time with him. There shop just opened their expansion and I hadn't seen that either, so I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone. We walked down Grand and had lunch at this super yummy place called the Gelateria. I had the best hot ham and cheese sandwich ever made, by the way. I highly recommend it.

Anyway, on our way back to the shop, I tripped on the sidewalk but instead of just tripping myself up a few steps, I did an almost face-plant on the concrete. Luckily I sometimes have the reflexes of a cat, and threw my purse as I was falling down so that I could throw my hands out in front of me, protecting my tummy from damage. Unfortunately in doing so I skinned up my palms pretty bad, but other than that I felt okay.

Mark showed he was the best husband ever because not once did he laugh at me. He took me inside the shop to clean me up and while he was disinfecting my hands, I told him that my left knee was bothering me. I was a little aggravated because the fall tore a whole in my expensive maternity khaki's, but that wasn't the worst of it. Mark lifted up my pant leg to expose a huge abrasion and my knee began to swell. Whenever I put weight down on it, my kneecap just didn't feel right.

William, Mark's boss, got out the first aid kit and put some Neosporin on the abrasion and put a big piece of gauze over it. My knee was throbbing by this time, so I thought it would be a good idea to go to the Urgent Care center to be looked at. So I drove all the way back to Illinois to the Urgent Care center in Edwardsville. Luckily they weren't busy at all and I got right in. Unfortunately I was stuck with the same jackass doctor who told me I had asthma or acid reflux last year when really all I had was a sinus infection. So the visit didn't go all that well.

First off, he wanted to X-ray me and when I asked him if that was safe for the baby, he looked at me as if I had sprouted another head on my shoulders. He was like, "Baby?" and I told him I was 7 months pregnant. Then he basically refused to treat me. He said there was nothing he could do for me but he did want to give me a tetanus shot. Um. Why? It wasn't like I tripped on the sidewalk and fell on a rusty nail. I told him I wasn't comfortable with that and that I would update my tetanus shot after the baby was born.

So what did he do? He gave me a prescription for antibiotics and sent me on my way, with instructions to keep my knee iced and elevated until Monday. Why antibiotics? I guess he figured that I would get a mean infection from my non-wound. WTF? That guy was a total quack.

Mark and I collectively decided not to get the antibiotics filled and just talk to Dr. Hulsen today. Because I was feeling rather poopy (and sore!) last night, I decided to forego seeing "Twilight" at midnight and catch it sometime today. I came home, elevated my knee and iced it for 20 minutes every hour until I went to sleep. I can walk on my knee today, but it still hurts like a bitch. Taking a shower was the WORST. It burned so bad. It's still really swollen and I'm starting to develop one of those gross blue-ish purple bruises on it.

I'm just glad the baby is okay. It's weird, all day yesterday something just didn't feel right. Like driving to work, I felt like everyone was being really reckless and I just felt like something would happen. I'm just glad it was me bumping my knee on the sidewalk and not something much, much worse.

Well, I should get my butt in gear and eat some breakfast. Looks like a bland morning of toast and a banana for me! Yum!!

0 comments: