Saturday, August 30, 2008

A sick kid.

I haven't been online to update my blogger in a couple of days because Aidan's been super-sick. When I went to pick him up at Mum's house Thursday, she informed me that he had been acting kind of lethargic and she had changed three diarrhea diapers that day. Great! She had taken his temperature and it was holding steady at 99.5 degrees. So, obviously his body was fighting something off but it was too low to really worry about.

Thursday afternoon Aidan seemed okay. He really didn't want to eat anything but he was drinking fluids and acting his normal, crazy self. Around a quarter to 8 that night, Aidan had another bout of diarrhea and all he wanted to do was be held. And he cried like I had never seen him cry before. I felt so awful for him.

When Mark got home he told me that Aidan's diarrhea had actually started Wednesday morning but he had only had one poopy diaper that day. He was really worried, even if Aidan's temperature was still no higher than 99.5. I couldn't blame him at all. I mean, diarrhea for two days? Yuck.

So we agreed that since I had the ability to take off of work (I'm on FMLA with Aidan ever since he had his chronic ear infections) that I would call off on Friday and take him to the doctor. Thursday night Aidan was really lethargic but listless and still hadn't gone to sleep at 1am. Poor guy.

Mark checked on Aidan at about 7am Friday morning and he had a horribly poopy diaper and was crying. We put him into bed with us and he was hot to the touch. When I took Aidan's temperature it was barely under 100 degrees. We usually don't like to give him Motrin or Tylenol on an empty stomach though because he'll just throw it back up. And that's all I needed, was for stuff to be coming out of him at both ends. Ew.

I called the doctor's office at 8:30 and got Aidan an 11:15 appointment. All he did was sleep, sleep, sleep until about 15 minutes before we left when I had to get him ready. I felt so awful for having to get him up because he just looked like hell. I took his temperature and it had shot up to over 100 degrees. He whimpered all the way to the doctor's office, cried in the waiting room and cried almost throughout the entire time he saw the doctor. The verdict? He has viral gastroenteritis which apparently is going around. Usually when he gets it though, he throws up for like two days straight so I feel pretty lucky that he didn't have it coming out that end. :oP

The doctor gave us a prescription for liquid Immodium and basically said to keep him hydrated and all that jazz. On our way to Walgreen's to pick up the Immodium, Motrin, more diapers and Pedialyte, Aidan had another poopy diaper and it smelled awful. Obviously I couldn't take him in the store like that, so we had to go home. I changed his diaper and all he did was cry and cry. I bet his little butt was so chafed!

I let Aidan sleep and in turn took a nap myself. When we both awoke, he had another bowel movement and I had had enough. I got him dressed (again) and quickly drove to Walgreen's. I stocked up on two different kinds of Pedialyte, diapers, Motrin, and even picked up some A&D ointment. Luckily, I could buy liquid Immodium over the counter so that was nice! I also got Aidan a toy, since I felt awful for him. I'm such a sucker!

I went by St. Louis Bread Co. and bought Aidan a cup of chicken noodle soup, even though I knew he wouldn't eat it. When we got home, I gave him a teaspoon of the Immodium and within the hour, Aidan was like a completely different kid. He drank some Pedialyte, didn't eat the soup but ate the huge baquette that came with it, and actually sat up in bed, as opposed to laying in the fetal position. He even wandered into his bedroom and played for a bit!!

Mark came home early from work because he knew I had had a rough day and Aidan played around with him. Both he and I crashed around 8:30 though.

After the first dose of Immodium he had one little poopy diaper around 7pm and we gave him another dose of Immodium as instructed. I have yet to check on him this morning because it's only a little after 6, but I hope he's doing better.

The only thing that really sucks is that viral gastroenteritis is contagious. I hope I don't end up getting it. I read on WebMD that you can only get it by like sharing food and the like, which we haven't been. So hopefully I'll dodge that bullet and Mark will also.

As a side note, you can imagine how pissed off I was when I called my sister and found out that her little boy had the stomach flu two weeks ago and last week, when I was at her house, her kid kept picking up Aidan's sippy cup and drinking from it. Now I know where Aidan caught it from. Grrr...

***

So that was my Friday. I ended up getting an unexpected four-day weekend which is nice but it would have been nicer had it not been because Aidan was so ill.

On the pregnancy front, I've been feeling fine. The baby is moving around more and more, which is always exciting. I get muscle cramps in my tummy every now and again but I know that's only because everything is stretching and making room for the baby.

The thing that kind of annoys me the most right now is the whole peeing all the time thing. Gah!!

I think I'm going to sneak off to the kitchen and heat up Aidan's leftover chicken noodle soup. Sounds good! Even for breakfast!!

0 comments: